Wednesday, April 15, 2009

i'll be anything you ask and more.

So, 1901 is totally on, totally with it. I've danced around to this song countless times already, and I only just got it this weekend at Hannah's house. They also just put out a new video, "Lisztomania."

Strangely though, all I can think of lately when I hear Thomas Mars' voice (the lead singer of Phoenix) voice is of Montreal's Kevin Barnes. Especially the song The Party's Crashing Us and
the album The Sunlandic Twins. And sophomore year of college when that song played on repeat in my room. And the ever-talented Malcolm Perkins' old band Look Alike. (Of course his current band is Your Nature - formerly Frankpollis.) Objectively, I'm not sure how similar Phoenix and of Montreal sound in general, but for me the connection is supes strong. More recent of Montreal material doesn't really sound much like Phoenix at all.

I'm still coveting all the Skeletal Lamping shwag that I always meant to buy but never did. Even those wall decals, which would have made me seem like a total douche. I was digging the whole "alternative packaging" concept for a solution to selling a download. I guess.

Oh and remember this fucking of Montreal Outback Steak House commercial?? Ha! What the fuck was that. It originally comes from their song Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games.
Speaking of commercials, when is Woods going to come out with a car commercial? I've got my television set tuned to TBS, and I'm waitin' it out. Any day now...

Coincidentally, I discovered that Thomas Mars is the partner of Sofia Coppola, who he met while she was making the Virgin Suicides. Because of Phoenix's ties to Air, who worked on the Suicides
soundtrack, Mars did the vocals for Playground Love, my ultimate supremo fave track from that album. He even appears in the homecoming dance scene of the movie. Coppola and Mars have a baby Romy, named after Roman Coppola. That's pretty precious, if you ask me.

<###e

1 comment:

  1. no more car commercial sell outs!
    anything else, beer, pussy, steak....just stop with the cars!

    ReplyDelete